Monday, July 16, 2012

D.I.Y. {altered frames}


Hi! For once, I remembered to take step-by-step pictures as I made something! Woo-hoo! I never do that. I had been hoping these frames would actually turn out well and might make a nifty blog post — and I think they did!

The frames that are displayed above my couch used to be dark brown wood. Rather than fight the fact that I was going to be making them so much lighter, I used the dark brown to create distressed points in the coloring. That was helpful in how many coats of each color I was going to need to use.


I wasn't in love with the colors of yellow that were available to me, so I ended up mixing two different yellows. And I mixed them casually, creating parts of the paint job that are deeper or lighter than other parts. I liked that effect paired with the dark brown areas peeking through.


I used whatever white paint I had laying around in the basement, as well as a cool stencil sponge that was just plain fun to use.


After priming the brown wood a bit with a quick coat of white, I then painted using the color that I wanted the stripes to be — yellow.


I put down the painter's tape onto the dried yellow paint to create the stripes. I then painted the white over it. Again, I was quite casual with the white paint. I wanted part of the yellow to peek through, as well as the white under that and the dark brown wood that the frame originally was.


Peel the tape off once the paint has dried and that'll do it! Put the glass back in, choose your pictures and you are all set to go!


Here is a picture of the finished project. I decided to coat one the frames without the tape, so it was painted yellow and then painted with two layers of the white. You can see the yellow and dark brown through that middle frame as well. 


Thanks for stopping to see my DIY frames project. Maybe this has inspired you to give some of your frames a face lift, too!

9 comments:

Melissa Baker said...

Oh wow, they look fabulous and the grey couch really complements them! Great job!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwww!!! These look awesome!!!!! And what a great model inside the frame! *wink*

Tammy said...

Oh, these look awesome! What a fun project. Love the grouping. :)

lisa said...

They look great : )

Izzy Anderson said...

Wow, these turned out GREAT. What a transformation. Super cute project.

scrappymo! said...

Fabulous project. I need to get cracking on with some of mine...maybe you will insire me:)
I like that you left the center one slightly different.

Lea Lacoste said...

lovely project, i might give it a try in my room!

Melissa said...

Gorgeous! Love the color scheme!

Diana Waite said...

these are GREAT!